Bringing out the best in each other
Swimming is a very good sport and is always recommended by medical experts for therapy. It is a game you can do all by yourself and at your own pace.
OVERVIEW OF SECTION
You are welcome to one of the 2 pioneer Sections of the Club at the Club merger in 1938. The only truly family section where every family member of most Club members belong and the largest in number and second in income
Swimming is a very good sport and is always recommended by medical experts for therapy. It is a game you can do all by yourself and at your own pace. It is a sport for the youngest and the aged.
The Swimming pool complex has two standard pools, a children pool, a fountain pool, gallery bar, cold room bar with a gallery, a kitchen, Sun Lounger beds/chairs and tables around the pools, two cloakrooms for ladies and gents and turns stargate at the entrance.
Welcome to the clean, clear, enticing and soothing water called SWIMMING SECTION, IKOYI CLUB 1938.
LOCATION OF THE SWIMMING SECTION
The Swimming Section of Ikoyi Club 1938 is located directly opposite the Rotunda Ground Terrace. It surrounded by the Squash, Tennis and Table Tennis Section.
The Section as a pioneer has maintained its leadership role in the Club by providing excellent Swimming facilities and relaxed ambient environs for the conviviality of its members. These facilities include:
- Two (2) 331/3 meters Swimming Pools, one of which is used for competition when required and the other strictly for leisure. The Pools are well maintained and the standard is comparable to any pool in the world.
- We also have a baby pool and a fountain pool for kids to catch up with the fun
- Adjustable beds, showers at the pool sides.
- There are two galleries around the pools from where spectators could watch events and at the same time enjoy their meal and drink.
- Male and Female Changing Rooms directly located under the Gallery close to the Swimming Pool entrance.
- We have a Bar and a Kitchen where chilled drinks are served and delicious food are prepared.
- The Section is endowed with Graduate Coaches and Assistant Coaches of National and International reputes that are readily available 24/7 to take the learner Swimmers through.
- The Section runs training programmes for the children from 2 – 6.15pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and graduate them from the pre-squad to advanced squad that represents the Section at Local, National, and International Swimming Competitions.
- There is a Committee Room where Sectional Committee Members meet monthly to discuss the affairs of the section.
- There is also an Administrative Office which is manned by the Administrative Manager Mr. Sunny Nwajei.
- Trained Life Savers are also available at all times.
PAST CHAIRMEN OF THE SECTION
- 1966 – 1967 MR. R.E. WYLE
- 1967 – 1968 MR. W.A. MUNSLOW
- 1968 – 1969 MR. T.T. TAYLOR
- 1969 – 1970 MR. J.J. NAIRN
- 1971 – 1972 MR. A.G. EL-GOOD
- 1972 – 1973 MR. J. ACTON
- 1973 – 1974 MR. G.M. CICHON
- 1974 – 1975 MR. K. FIELDS
- 1975 – 1977 CHIEF OLAYINKA RHODES
- 1978 – 1979 MR. KEN BRETT
- 1979 – 1981 MR. G.A.J. WILSON
- 1982 – 1983 DR. C.P. EZEIFE
- 1984 – 1987 MR. FOLORUNSO IDOWU
- 1987 – 1988 MR. W.A. BALOGUN
- 1988 – 1989 MR. S. OGUNDIPE- ALATISE
- 1990 – 1991 MR. A.M. WILLIAMS
- 1992 – 1993 MR. LANRE T. LADIPO
- 1994 – 1995 MR. BAYO ADENIJI-FASHOLA
- 1996 – 1997 MR. TUNDE FATAYI-WILLIAMS
- 1998 – 1999 MR. ANTHONY OWUYE
- 2000 – 2001 MR. ADE FOLARIN
- 2002 – 2003 MR. G.A. SORINMADE
- 2004 – 2005 MS. O.O.A. OGUNYEMI
- 2006 – 2007 PRINCE ‘DUPE FADINA
- 2008 – 2009 MR. TOKUNBO OLOLADE
- 2009 – 2010 PROF. MIDE AJOSE
- 2011 – 2012 MR. FREEBORN ERHENEDE
- 2013 – 2014 MR. REMI OGUAMANAM
- 2015 – 2016 Mr. Segun Adekoya
- 2017 – 2018 Mr. Abayomi Ogundipe
COMPETITIONS / GALAS
We have various competitions / Galas around the year.
Some of which are:
- Children Xmas Gala
- Beginners and pre-squad swimming Galas from ages 2 – 10
- Easter Swimming Gala
- Since the year 2000, the Section had been taken part in the annual International Swimming Competition in Neheim-Husten, Arnsberg Germany, where we have severally top the medals table as the only Club representing Nigeria and Africa, competing with other 35Clubs in Europe. We placed 2nd overall in the year 2008. This competition is for our children between the ages of 9 – 14years, sponsored by notable corporate organizations that take interests in the nurturing of the youth to better citizen and future leaders in their bids to fulfill corporate social responsibilities to their immediate environment.
- Adult Swimming Gala
- Independent Gala
- Club Anniversary Gala
- Annual Swimming Competition between Ikoyi Club 1938 and Tessano Club of Accra, Ghana.
- The section organized the end of the year get-together party for its members.
- It has become the practice of the section to recognize the important events and dates in our annual National Calendar; therefore, the Section had the Good Friday frejon to celebrate the Easter.
- Celebrations of Thank God it’s Friday to keep our members / Spouses homely.